View Single Post
      06-07-2023, 08:26 AM   #17
mwinemil
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
When the two of these were side by side were you able to see/ feel if the flex sections had similar flexibility or was the MST more difficult to move/ flex than OEM? If I had them side by side I could feel if one was more flexible than the other.

Some others have mentioned that a DP they fitted, the flex section was much harder to move than OEM.
The DP that I installed from MST was a prototype and I have since reached out to them to replace it with a production model. I installed this a couple days ago, but having seen this post I did some comparisons.

First, stock vs. MST production, the stock DP is easier to flex. I believe there are two factors that could be attributed to this. The first is the larger flex section (as mentioned before) and the second is age. My stock DP had nearly 40k miles on it when I swapped it for the MST. As was mentioned age will be the determining factor as to how much this moves. I'll add that with the bolts off the block and the vclamp it's hard for me to see how this is a huge deal, unless it's all about vibration. In the end, if this is damaging to the turbo it will be an opportunity to upgrade. I believe not everyone will feel this way .

Here are some pics of the stock DP vs the MST production model:

Name:  IMG_3062.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  308.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3063.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  319.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3064.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  321.7 KB

Once I had the prototype MST DP out I snapped a pic and compared it to the new production model. I didn't have anything substantial to measure the resistance but they seemed relatively similar. If I had to butt dyno the flex, I would say that it's a little easier to move on the production model but it wasn't by much. Pic:

Name:  IMG_3069.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  519.3 KB

In the end, time will tell how it holds up and how it does in terms of CEL. MST has been pretty good to deal with thus far for me. I think there are quite a few B58 Supras that have this too, so from a long-term standpoint that group would also be worth monitoring.

YMMV.
Appreciate 0