View Single Post
      11-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #99
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Well, tbf anti-EV people always bring that up (not claiming you are anti-EV, you are just making the same argument right now) and it was shown before this is a non-issue in the real world. There are many (very easy) solutions for this problem, which are implemented by now (at least by some BMW dealers for i customers). The very easy one: Include a once/twice a year free rental car for long trips.

And even with pure EVs, the problem should be solved with next gen cars (i.e. in 5-7 years), since you then will be able to charge multiple hundred km in only 15 minutes. Even right now you can charge almost 150km of range in only 15 minutes with the ix3.
When we vacationed in Florida from the mid-west, I routinely rented a car for that trip. It saved putting over 3K miles on my vehicle.

IMO 300-500 mile range is the sweet spot for owners to feel comfortable with an EV (about what you'd get from a full tank of gasoline in an ICE car. We are not that far away for many of new the EV's.

With any new technology, there will always be a those that point out all the negatives in much the same way people defended the horse over the automobile at the turn of the 20th century. We are certainly light years ahead of where we were transitioning from horse to horse-less than we are from ICE to EV.
Appreciate 0