evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
I don't get the people who now think about switching to a 911 because of the big grille. I mean if you anyway don't need the space for more than 2 passengers and the cargo space (and obviously have enough money for the Porsche), then why did you even consider the M3? The 911 already should have been your choice then (or a similar car).

I mean that's what the M3 is about, you get a car with sports car performance and characteristics and at the same time you have the space and practicality of a normal sedan. And that's the reason why I can't consider Porsche as an alternative, because they have no such car (the Panamera is too big and heavy). The higher costs aside, of course.
Some people still prefer an M3 regardless of space considerations as well as money ones

The M3 is better balanced and easier to drive fast than the 911s at the track.

I am convinced all the regular HPDE crowd would be better served with a M3 than a 911
I agree that some people prefer the M3 over the 911 "just because." It offers some extra utility that you may need someday... it's less showy... maybe easier to find a dealership .... and many other reasons.

I don't think I agree with you that M3s are easier to drive fast..... maybe at that cars absolute limit ... but partly because the 911s limits are just higher so you're carrying more speed, have to be more on your toes. Those same folks you are faster than in the red group would likely even be slower in an M3/m4. Unless they're just super concerned about wrecking the RS and they could push much harder in the M3 (which would be fair, but not the car's fault). I think the point our friend is trying to make that even if you you can push the M3 8-9/10s you're still probably slower than someone pushing any 911 on similar rubber 7-8/10s. The older 911s for sure were tricky and I've never driven those. I've put a short amount of track time in with a 991 GTS, GT3 and Turbo (@ PECLA). They're all really confidence inspiring and I'd be willing to bed I'd be faster around any of my normal tracks in it.

That said... the M3 does have a lot to offer and being able to push a little harder before reaching your limit is fun (why people love Miatas, Veloster N, etc). It's much less of a sports car than the 911 in look, feel and on the track. They have so much technology to help you that they all seem to be really fast on track and I'm not sure why you're arguing against that. People for sure don't NEED that kind of performance and they're into cars that have limits way beyond themselves, but same could be said about the M3 for MANY buyers.

Anyway back on topic ... I still stand by my previous post ... anxiously awaiting g80 details.

Appreciate 0