View Single Post
      01-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #35
tna3
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i SP MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Charging an EV at home on a 30a 120v circuit is not feasible depending on how much you drive daily. Using that would take over 24hrs to charge my current i3 if the battery was near zero. Even using the BMW Turbo Cord on a 30a 220v plug I setup can barely charge it to full overnight as the i3 goes 150 miles some days.

A home with 100a may or may not be able to have a 220v plug for an EV depending on what else is in the house, would prolly trip something if the dryer, oven, and EV were being charged at the same time with all the other juice flowing in the house. Else many homes would have to charge on 120v and that is a frustrating EV future that no one will adopt.
Adding to this, many households have more than 1 vehicle. Charging 2 or more at the same time takes even a bigger chunk of what's available. No one denies in a ideal world EV's are cleaner. Sure, upgrades are possible; circuit panels, dig up to install larger lines from street, add solar, home batteries etc. Fact of the matter is cost becomes prohibitive and goes beyond initial BEV acquisition for many situations. Especially in rural areas.
Appreciate 1