Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
For people saying M car is same comfort, put your in laws in back seat, drive for 300 miles then report back... if it's just my own car I can probably tolerate even Porsche GT3 RS...
LOL. It annoys me when people make this comment. Comfort does not mean tolerance.

Any M car is objectively less comfortable than the non-M variant - it's a night and day difference.
Let's clarify. Why? The suspension?
I don't know about previous generations of m3 but 80 had hard front seats. Cool looking and supportive but if truly driven daily for a long time your tolerance goes down.
Another reason - yes suspension. It has less travel and is tuned to be harsher to ensure car doesn't jump/float much. Also there are no bushings between subframes and the body of the car and some other things omitted to provide sporty feeling for the car. All this removes comfort.
Next - noise. The car has less insulation to reduce weight. It gets to you after a while and most passengers hate it unless they are car fanatics.
There are probably more details to find here but I think this gives you an idea.
My recommendation to anyone who dreams of m3, get it (because it's your dream car) but have sober expectations about what this car will deliver and what it will not.
My recommendation for a fun daily car - a GT type of car - powerful engine, comfortable car with few sports traits (bigger breaks, louder exhaust, sporty suspension option, body kit, etc). Example: 5 series 6 series 8 series with bigger engines available and m-sport pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
For people saying M car is same comfort, put your in laws in back seat, drive for 300 miles then report back... if it's just my own car I can probably tolerate even Porsche GT3 RS...
LOL. It annoys me when people make this comment. Comfort does not mean tolerance.

Any M car is objectively less comfortable than the non-M variant - it's a night and day difference.
Let's clarify. Why? The suspension?
I don't know about previous generations of m3 but 80 had hard front seats. Cool looking and supportive but if truly driven daily for a long time your tolerance goes down.
Another reason - yes suspension. It has less travel and is tuned to be harsher to ensure car doesn't jump/float much. Also there are no bushings between subframes and the body of the car and some other things omitted to provide sporty feeling for the car. All this removes comfort.
Next - noise. The car has less insulation to reduce weight. It gets to you after a while and most passengers hate it unless they are car fanatics.
There are probably more details to find here but I think this gives you an idea.
My recommendation to anyone who dreams of m3, get it (because it's your dream car) but have sober expectations about what this car will deliver and what it will not.
My recommendation for a fun daily car - a GT type of car - powerful engine, comfortable car with few sports traits (bigger breaks, louder exhaust, sporty suspension option, body kit, etc). Example: 5 series 6 series 8 series with bigger engines available and m-sport pack.
Totally agree an M3 is not for everyone.

For me the car has exceeded expectations.
It would help if you mentioned criteria by which your m3 met your expectations.

Everyone agrees that overall it is a fun car, it has a wow factor and looks great, it has great history, level of reliability, and huge car community support and following.
What is being discussed currently is comfort level vs how long the owner will tolerate the harshness of the car on daily use situations.