View Single Post
      09-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Solid points and on par with how I feel about the brand!...
Reading a forum is just as good as reading a magazine review or consumer reports. There is a reason why Tesla constantly falls off its "recommended list"....
Valid points. A few takeaways.

Time and quality should never be associated in the statement. Think about it. Quality is built into the product, time does not build quality. Especially since panel stamping and automotive engineering have been around for a century. This argument can be made with new technology such as batteries and drive units as the processes were freshly developed. So with that said, Tesla QC will only improve when they decide to improve the process, not as time goes on.

As for the Tech, I agree, it's a tough road ahead for traditional manufacturers and they are at a clear disadvantage - they also have more lose than Tesla ever has.
I agree with almost all, other than CR has the benefit of large sample size of actual owners reporting quality issues. That is how Model 3 fell off the list at first.

The problem with Tesla that doesn't seem to afflict traditional OEMs to the same degree is hubris. No one should dispute that Tesla developed the world's leading state-of-the-art electric powertrain. The problem became that, having done so, they thought they had similar capability for an entire vehicle that surrounds it. There are companies such as NedCar or Magna Steyr who could have partnered with them and designed and built the car around that Tesla powertrain for them. Even if those potential partners did nothing more than assembly, Tesla would have been far ahead and far more competent and desireable as a brand. We've read reasons in above posts as to why owners overlook the poor results that eventuated from Tesla's mismatch of confidence and capability for an entire vehicle program. But, they are simply offsetting "Things Gone Right" (e.g. speed) that allowed some people to diminish the importance of the "Things Gone Wrong", which are objectively demonstrable and unfortunately far higher in number than what could have been otherwise.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1