09-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #41
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I agree with almost all, other than CR has the benefit of large sample size of actual owners reporting quality issues. That is how Model 3 fell off the list at first.

The problem with Tesla that doesn't seem to afflict traditional OEMs to the same degree is hubris. No one should dispute that Tesla developed the world's leading state-of-the-art electric powertrain. The problem became that, having done so, they thought they had similar capability for an entire vehicle that surrounds it. There are companies such as NedCar or Magna Steyr who could have partnered with them and designed and built the car around that Tesla powertrain for them. Even if those potential partners did nothing more than assembly, Tesla would have been far ahead and far more competent and desireable as a brand. We've read reasons in above posts as to why owners overlook the poor results that eventuated from Tesla's mismatch of confidence and capability for an entire vehicle program. But, they are simply offsetting "Things Gone Right" (e.g. speed) that allowed some people to diminish the importance of the "Things Gone Wrong", which are objectively demonstrable and unfortunately far higher in number than what could have been otherwise.
Couldn't agree more.

Tesla's powertrain is unbeatable! It's the overall package that takes away from an amazing car.

It would be interesting if Tesla made its powertrain available to other manufacturers. Almost like the F1 system where you can buy the chassis/engine from the Manufacturer teams. Similar to what Toyota did with the Supra.

We'll see what the EV world looks like in the next 5yrs. I'm not opposed to going Tesla, it's just not at the top of my list. It's going to be interesting to see what the competition develops.
Appreciate 0