04-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
This video just further depresses me over the future of motor sport. I came here wanting to hear the pinnacle of 'M'. To have my senses tingled by the roar, rasp and crackle of power. Instead, I hear a stream of quieter cars with OPF filters, a clear reflection of general over regulation... and don't even get me started on the 'incredible' idea of GPS-enforced speed limiters, coming soon to a car near you.

Many of these cars are supposed to be a showcase of power and excitement. How can something that has the power of 500+ horses charging under it's bonnet conjure the equivalent excitement of a deflating balloon? Sorry guys, is it just me? When I visited Goodwood last year and I hear the ferocious engines of the past vs. the modern drone/electric of 2018, it left me saddened. Where is the bastion of hope? Someone please share some positive news that highlights exciting developments and promises for the future of the motor industry. It seems each day this industry becomes more regulated, more suppressed and less exciting. *rant over*
Completely agree with you! Its pretty sad to see some of these special powerful cars having to go down this route. M3 wise it sounded pretty muted to me but even the more special things like the Porsche GT3 have been tamed in the sound department.

GPS speed limiter. When I saw that in the newspaper last week I was literally stunned at such a ridiculous idea. Doesn't that turn every performance based car into just a regular run of the mill one? Is there even any point in owning anything with more power at that point? Bye bye supercars? Or are they just allowed to accelerate to the speed limit at that point...

Edit: Rewatching the video again I have to say everything does sound very muted and flat.

Last edited by AD18; 04-01-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0