View Single Post
      01-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #91
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I had the same dilemma. I value luxury, but also sportiness, and didn't want to spend $90k+ on an M550 when we needed 2 cars.

Ultimately I decided on the M340 for a couple reasons:
1) The M340 is just an absolute joy to drive; the sound, the speed, the ability to toss it into corners, etc. The 540 is quite tame in comparison.
2) I ordered an X5 for hauling the family around and that gives me my luxury fix (ultra quiet, smooth air suspension, massaging seats etc)

All this being said, if you're looking at one car, you just have to ask yourself, do you value performance or luxury/comfort? I've found my M340 to not be the most comfortable car, but I'm ok with that because the performance puts a smile on my face.

On the other hand if you're ok with compromising a bit on performance and would prefer a smoother, quieter ride with softer seats (assuming you upgrade from the standard dakota), then the 540 is your best bet.

One more thing I will say - A comparable 540 (in terms of features) will be pricier than an M340. If you're comparing a loaded M340 to a base 540, I would get the M340 in a heartbeat. IMHO it's only worth getting the 540 if you either 1) need the extra legroom or 2) Upgrade certain things to justify the luxury aspect (i.e. merino seats, luxury seating package, ceramic controls, etc).
I agree with everything you're saying.

Having come from an M550i and then a full-on M5, now into a smaller M340i, I love the changes and the transition smaller.

I didn't like how floaty the M550i felt, even with adaptive suspension. The nose of the car always wanted to dip hard. It's simply a heavy vehicle that needs a very, very firm suspension to make it feel sporty.

Overall, while I still love the M5, it's the highway car for me. The M340 is the car I drive in the city and it's an absolute blast. I've never had so much fun on u-turns in my life.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 2
EXE462101.50
G8rGrl568.50