View Single Post
      11-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #10
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320i Touring MSport

Personally I think that service intervals on new cars are too long. I suspect they're there to keep down ownership costs for leasing type buyers. I think they're setup to benefit short and medium term ownership (like the person above that's never done more than 45k mi in any of his 40 BMWs) but not long-term owners (100k+ mi / 10 yrs).

Appreciate that synthetic oils are resilient, but modern engines are complex and strained, think high pressure turbos, tight tolerances, etc.

I like to keep my cars for long; my current plan is to keep my G21 for ~10 years. With this in view, I've decided that, come 1 year, I will have an oil/filter/microfilter change. An "interim" service I believe in BMW lingo. By then I'll have ~6k miles on the car. Thereafter I'll have the interim oil change done every other year, alternating with the scheduled services. I've spent several dozen thousand £, I am OK to spend an additional £300 a year to have the oil changed.

To complicate things, there used to be a theory that the factory oil fill had additional additives to allow for initial breaking in. I really have no idea if this was ever true, if it still holds today, and what the impact of it would be...

Differential I agree with above, not required. Its a low stress / heat item and probably only needs oil changing due to age more than anything.
Appreciate 0