View Single Post
      12-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #110
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
How is the 992 911 like a grand touring car? What's the difference between a grand touring car and a sports car?
A GT car is fast, but more insulated from road noise, engine noise, road feedback, tends to be heavier, etc.

The Cayman/Boxster have taken up the sports car end of the spectrum (except for the GT cars) compared to the 911 for Porsche. Lighter weight, more focused, more feedback are just a few of things you notice driving the cars back to back. Porsche also artificially limits the performance of the 718 platform by not putting their top motors in them to ensure the new 911 remains the tip of the performance pyramid for them.

All of this is subjective obviously and performance is becoming less important since almost every cars has super car numbers now relative to 30 years ago. In 1989 a 911 Turbo did 0-60 in 5.5 seconds now a Toyota Camry does it in 5.3 seconds. Does a 4.0 vs a 3.5 0-60 really make a difference other than bragging rights? Personally I still want a 911 over a Cayman just because that was my dream growing up although I would probably enjoy the driving dynamics of the Cayman more. Again just personal bias and opinion.
Appreciate 0