View Single Post
      10-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #90
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
I was going to go with 18", but saw quite a few people mention 19s. Looks like a lot of people like the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 tires. The review on tire rack indicate their sidewalls don't hold up to potholes well...which we have a lot in Chicago.

The last set of snows I ran was on my GTI 7 years ago. I believe they were the Altimax which help up great and provided a lot of traction. My biggest complaint on those was they were a little noisy.
RoyB, I can't predict the future, but I can tell you my past experience. For the last 3 years I've had two sets of wheels/tires: 19" MB OEM wheels with Pirelli P Zero summer run flats, and 18" no-name tire rack wheels with Pirelli Winter Sottozero tires. In the three years of ownership, driving around NYC and surrounding areas, I've busted the sidewalls 6 (six!) times on the Pirelli SUMMER tires and cracked the 19" MB OEM rims 6 times as well. On my 18" no-name wheels with Winter Sottozero, I have had ZERO issues. So, from my perspective, there is a real benefit to the 18" wheels.
Appreciate 1