530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassy View Post
Hey everyone,

I just had window tint installed all-around and I immediately noticed that it's triggering some sort of auto-dim feature for both my screens. So in the day time, the vehicle thinks it's night time, and it's dimming my displays to where I can barely see either of them. I tried increasing the brightness with the little dial next to the head light switch and that did nothing. I also tried increasing the brightness through the display settings and that also did nothing. Also couldn't find any auto-dim feature in the settings that I could disable.

Per the enclosed image, I think the auto-dim sensor is in this black portion next to the speedometer because when I put my hand over it, it dims everything and when I take my hand off, everything brightens up again.

Do you know if there's any way to turn off this auto-dim feature for the displays whether it be through a setting or coding? I imagine other owners who are tinting their windows are having the same issue?

Thanks in advance, guys!
This is why I decided to skip tinting on my G30. Many stories about auto dimming problems post tint installs and this is due to the digital dash displays and full reliance on light sensors to control the brightness.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1