Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRS55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
Half of that was engine weight (eliminating the v8) and I don't see them cutting another 40+ lbs on a turbo inline 6 to turbo inline 6 evolution with comparable displacement.

Another big contributor was composite materials - like the carbon fiber drive shaft that was discontinued due to cost and structural integrity.

Always room for weight saving there but seems like the trend is more cosmetic - what would happen to m performance parts and special edition models (comp package, GTS, CSL, etc) if the car came standard with a ton of light material?

They will cut weight with new technology and as mentioned added composite material. If new gen will have an all wheel drive system similar to the m5 than yes weight reduction will be a lot less but I’m sure they will manage to keep it similar to the current F80 gen if not lighter.

CF driveshaft ran through end of production F80 and I believe still being offered in the m4. So never been officially discontinued.

Models like the cs, gts, etc.. they will improve the chassis and slightly increase power and again add lighter materials like a CF hood.
I'm standing by the discontinuation of the carbon fiber drive shaft in 2017. See below:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1411862
Appreciate 0