Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Base engine 3er with couple of options is 56k in 2019 vs 2006 base 3er with the same couple of options was then at 34k. Price increase is very noticeable if you think about it. Also, bmw has been raising prices every year, so even in 2012 e90 base with couple of options was probably close to or over 40k.

But if you are in the camp of "charge me if you can" as long as you can give me some ideas to justify the raise, then sure - you win your argument.
I've already said what I wanted to about comparing the two cars directly: you can't because you have options available on one that weren't there for the other. Plus the underlying structure of the car is also far from the same, and even the options they "share" aren't at the same level.

I think we've also covered enough times now that the 34k you keep bringing up was 13 years ago, and would be equivalent to 42-43k today. That's already the base price of the new car, which may just have a lot of things standard that you had to option 13 years ago on a 3er and even more features probably (not just tech, but engineering wise).

So, of course BMW is making money (like every other brand), and of course prices have gone up (like every other product), but not on this exceptional scale you keep pointing to in this case.
What is in there to take the price from 43 to 56?
I have already mentioned there are some new sensors, features, and stuff - I agree. But a lot of things got cheaper also. So my point is there is little to show for 13k. Thus BMW, as competition, has overpriced their products. As I said, let's wait and see how this will go. Will 3 series pple move into 2 series? I doubt. BMW will have to come up with discounts.