View Single Post
      04-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
vatdim
Rep
Drives: E34 525i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
When you are used to the E34, the G30 will not feel anything like a heavy bulky car. You'll be astonished how crisp and light it feels. The G30 is a better (wrt G20) when it comes down to road composure and flegmatics, and obviously... space. A 5 series is a relaxing experience, you can even feel this in an M5 on 20inch wheels! Some also stated that the G30 uses better materials and feels a bit more upmarket but I doubt it's that obvious and exposed. You can find a lot 530i for about 35k€ also with less than 20000km on the odometer.

The G20 has mildly better vehicle dynamics seen it's a bit lighter and a bit tighter in the suspension. That was the big USP from the 3-series and with the G20, they have put it back on top as first differentiator.

The Kia is also a very nice car. And although I wanted the Stinger to really be a BMW challenger I believe today it's not. All tests I've read point in that direction: it's slower, it's not as efficient and it consumes 15% more, it feels less nimble, it depreciates faster leading to a (much) higher TCO. Also typical for Koreans, I guarantee that the model lifecycle is at best 5 years. On top, they are still searching for brand and design identity since today like in the past, they have NONE. In spite of this, still a nice drive oriented car, but not on par with the G20.
This is very useful, thanks for sharing!

I have seen a number of 530i G30s even at about 30k EUR in the last few weeks and with the corona-induced crisis and the upcoming LCI, I would expect such cars to sell for even less in about 6 months. I have also heard talk of this higher quality materials being used even in lower trim versions of the 5, as compared to higher trim versions of the 3. With some warranty thrown in the mix, I'd be quite tempted.

I see the main issue of the Stinger as its questionable (to me) build quality (although that is countered, to a degree, by the 7-year warranty), and possibly its resale value. Fuel consumption is also an issue for me, but I need to run the numbers because I have the feeling that the lower price point vs a G20 of similar power / trim version is going to make up for it, at least when considered up to a reasonable annual mileage.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some maths and hopefully a few test drives after this current crisis gets resolved.
Appreciate 0