03-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #1566
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Occasionally I'll give money, but I usually try to resist. Many have chosen that way of life. A couple of panhandlers in Denver that have prime spots make over $40,000 annually.

I was local chairman of a Salvation Army Advisory Board for several years and gained an in-depth knowledge of the "business" of begging. Both the providers and receivers have their roles. The providers put much effort into separating the "professional" lifers from those newly down on their luck. Being in that community, active every day is helpful in making decisions about who to help and who to pass on in the allocation of limited funds. As people not in that world, we're not equipped to distinguish one beggar from another. The pros and the truly destitute look pretty much alike to the untrained.

Generally, I'd recommend helping in a structured way, such as serving in a soup kitchen or giving money to a homeless shelter or donating to a food bank. Those organizations have feet on the ground in the homeless and financially stressed communities and can give the best assurance that you gifts are spent as wisely as possible. There are lots of ways to help, so find an organization that serves a role that's of interest to you personally.

Dave