View Single Post
      09-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #19
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Not the best looking limited run car they've made in my opinion. I'm more bothered by the hybrid tech.

Reading from the R&T article on the car, the supercapacitor is used for low speed parking and assists up to 80 mph, at which point it disconnects. So the car has 819 HP up to 80 mph and "only" 785 after that. In a car like this, does 0-80 mph really matter other than to bench racers? In a corner, you're never going full throttle, and it's still naturally aspirated, so I doubt the 35hp supercapacitor assists with power delivery on corner exit THAT much more than the engine could do on its own. I'm failing to see what Lamborghini accomplished with all the added complexity of this hybrid-lite system other than checking a box.

I realize I'm coming off as a little cynical, but I'm open to being enlightened. But for comparison, Acura of all companies has already brought 918-like technology to a somewhat attainable price point. What does this car do that's the same or better and that we can look forward to in future models? I fail to see it at the moment.
Capacitor powered electric motor is there for an added torque not high speed HP gain. It is a lot easier to manipulate electric motors to deliver exact amount of torque when you need it. It also says electric motor kicks in between gear shifts, probably to fill in for combustion engine in between gears or something.

But I am with you on the appearance; looks like they tried too hard.
Appreciate 0