Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassportBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
When I initially read the comparison there are some points I have trouble with.

C/D claims that the Alfa's steering was lacking in feel/feedback. I find that confusing as they have posted countless reviews in which they have given high praise for the steering feel regardless of model/drivetrain, every single review they posted of the Alfa mentions that as a key area in which Alfa has the competition beat, as they currently have some of the best electric steering in the industry.

The suspension I also find confusing as well as that is also something that has received high praise from both C/D as well as other sources, and the Giulia in my opinion and many others have found it to be extremely planted.

For practicality, interior materials and tech, the 3 is most definitely the winner, and it does still handle well, but when it comes to the driving experience, I believe Alfa is still king of the segment.
Probably reviews for the Giulia QF and not the standard models?
No, ever single one of their non-qf reviews have praised the steering and have called it best in class, which is why I find this comparison conflicting.

"Both vehicles come with the same sharp handling, crisply communicative steering, as their 2019 versions."

"What really sets the Alfa Romeo apart from the competition is its steering. A quick, 11.8:1-ratio rack translates to 2.3 turns lock-to-lock, and even better than the responsiveness is the intuitive feedback and road feel. Ride quality is excellent on the optional 18-inch wheels, and the structure is as solid as any in the segment. Alive and graced with some of the rawness of the 4C sports car, the Giulia steers with a precision and purity that BMW has retreated from and Audi and Mercedes-Benz have yet to figure out. In the Giulia's segment, the Cadillac ATS's steering comes closest."

"The Giulia's dynamics also are spot-on, achieving a nearly ideal ride/handling balance that picks up where the BMW 3-series left off one generation ago. It doesn't take much seat time to feel the liveliness of the Alfa's controls, starting with the perfectly weighted steering rack, which has great on-center feel, quick turn-in, and, above all, is communicative, with just the right amount of feedback filtered through to the driver. The car moves gracefully on twisty roads, the balanced weight distribution (we measured our rear-wheel-drive test car's 3636-pound curb weight at 49.8 percent front, 50.2 percent rear) making it easy to get into a rhythm."

It just seems weird to compliment the suspension/ride and steering many times to only dismiss it in this one article when nothing about the Giulia has changed