View Single Post
      09-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #86
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
After re-reading your original reply, I finally understand what you're saying. So let me get this straight, the 4 series will be able to be ordered next summer at the earliest for a 2021 model year,
Yes, although I would not use the language "will be able to be ordered". Rather, to be precise, it will be in production starting in July 2020. This we know with absolute certainty because we also know with absolute certainty that the MY2020 F32 4 Series ends production in June 2020, and that its MY2021 G22 4 Series successor will begin production immediately after that (following the standard brief factory shutdown).

When the dealership ordering system will actually allow orders to be placed is more of a regional concern. My guess is that for the US, it will be a month or so before production begins, but it could be sooner. Or, sometimes, because BMW NA tends to be a bit of a hot mess, it could be later than that.

Quote:
and the M3 will be revealed next fall for the ordering process to start the following summer (2021) and the first year model will be 2022 on that? Am I getting this right?
The dates are not that firm, but something resembling that will be the case, yes. Your reveal timeframe, at least, is probably correct, and it will indeed most probably be called MY2022. However, the timeline for actual availability could be a few months sooner than "summer". My recollection for the last generation (which was on the same relative timeline, seven years ago) is that deliveries started late that spring for the US. I believe some regions began even sooner, with one M3 buyer in the Middle East taking delivery in mid-March if memory serves.

Furthermore, although I am not betting on this, it is still possible that we see record turnaround time between the 4 Series and M3/M4. I notice that ynguldyn recently revised the end production dates for the F33 and F83 convertibles to August (from their previous October date, which is also when the E93 convertibles ended). That could (I stress *could*) be an indication that they are tightening things up in general with these products, and want to have everything G2x/G8x rolling out of the factories before the end of 2020. This would not only enable very early 2021 M3/M4 deliveries, but it could mean that they sneak in a model year 2021 for the US rather than starting with an early release model year 2022 (for what that's worth, if anyone cares or is keeping score).
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24826.00
JTO245246.50