pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I can see that side too. I wonder if the US in fact did too little too late, which means it's ineffective, but just enough for cause a lot of financial loss and pain for a lot of people, who are likely to rebel.

NZ went into full lockdown a week or so back, everything closed. Guards at the entrances to communities making sure nobody comes or goes without cause. All groceries are delivery only. And for the most part the country hunkered down and are dealing with it. Here - I've read rants from people "last time i checked it was a god-damned free country and I'll go for a drive if I want to" - which only perpetuates the problem and makes it go on longer.

I think you will have to wait until there's been a decline in cases before the stay at home orders are lifted, but I can see people going stir-crazy and making their own rules before that.
Here in Minnesota we've got the advantage of the isolating/insulating factor of being in the middle of the country. We shut things down early on, at least in terms of percentage of people here who had tested positive. It appears we "flattened the curve," to use the current parlance. Clearly there are areas elsewhere where it had already gotten a firm foothold before anything effective was done. I'm empathetic to the people in those areas. We were fortunate to get out in front of it. Our governor has done a great job handling things.