Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
I appreciate this dystopian view, but its the wrong dystopia.

IMO this is the plan - I work for the company that is enabling it through massive technological capability in autonomous driving. I see the branded rigs up and down I45 in Texas every month, learning. You may have seen the minivans running around Socal, and Arizona...Nuff said.

Soon (in our lifetime), private citizens will not own cars. Period. They will be too expensive to. The resources to build them will be too scarce, and the operating expense will lock most people out of the market. Its actually not a bad idea, when you consider the utilization rates of a depreciating asset. Car shares are a much more efficient way of solving for transportation needs... Auto manufacturers know this. Automobiles are not following moores law, the tech should be getting cheaper, but it isnt, its getting more expensive.

How will this happen? Easy, by making replacement cost too high, by making gasoline too expensive, the private citizen will attrition out of the market. When Gas is $25/Gallon, a $75 Autonomous taxi ride will be cost effective for commuting to work, especially because the most expensive part (the human driver) has been removed.

EVs are just one leg of the future of transportation stool...Enjoy your car while you can, but eventually, you will be unable to repair it, and off it will go forever....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Please don’t take this the wrong way as I give you my word of honor I do not mean it as an insult. For you to have said the things you said in this post there’s absolutely no way in the world you grew up in America. And if you did then you were extremely isolated. Americans will never give up their cars. Ever. Not this generation anyway. Perhaps 100 years from now I don’t know but certainly not now. Not without a fight anyway. I get that you believe what you believe but you absolutely don’t have any clue about the American psyche. If you did you most certainly wouldn’t hold the opinion you have.

Now let’s address what you wrote. In order for you to have that opinion you must firmly believe in global warming and that we are all going to die if we don’t do the things you stated. I would like to know from you or anyone else how we are going to get charging stations built all throughout the entire United States to the capacity that can handle cars pulling up to them and staying there for an hour at a time. Please lay out your plan and timeline for that. Because without that then my prediction of cars running out of juice stranded on the side of the road will absolutely come true.
I work for one of the big companies (rhymes with M&M). Unfortunately, what beachBmmr says is true. Companies are trying to move forward with this approach. Is it possible/feasible? Doesn't matter. There is more stable revenue there, so that's the direction they're heading. I'm in my late 20's and am an outlier in my generation in regards to my enthusiasm and passion for automobiles (be they EV or ICE). The generation(s) after me could not care less. Many don't even have driver's license or care to get them. These are future "customers" that automakers will have to cater to. It is a bleak future, and I try not to think about it too much. I'm just glad that I was able to pick up one of my attainable dream cars this year and I plan to drive it until it's no longer feasible.
Its happening…https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/14/j-...ight-customer/