View Single Post
      06-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #29
BBoyM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition AW/SO

Garage List
I used to work for GM in transmission control design, specifically the 6AT (RWD/FWD - BTW the GM 6AT RWD B variant was for BMW to supplement the ZT 6AT in the 3-Series). My thourghts on the factors that are driving the automatic transmission for the M3/M4 are:

1. While enthusiats love the 6MT, I'm thinking that the majority of people (no data to support this) chose the an AT/DCT over the 6MT (for whatever reasons make sense to them - performance, convenience, don't know how to drive manual, etc.).
2. The ZF 8AT is already setup for AWD, which is enticing to some people and helpful in putting down the reported 500+hp for the higer-end variants of the M3/M4.
3. The ZF 8AT is also setup for hybrid powertrains, and I'm pretty sure that is an eventuality.

I don't know the HP/TQ specifications of the DCT or 6MT. I would think it could handle the reported HP/TQ specifications of the upcoming M3/M4. However, I feel it's more about setting the next generation M3/M4 up for AWD and hybridization than other factors. Just my thoughts - not claiming I know.

The post about the marketing of a product above was interesting. I agree it for the most part.

Last edited by BBoyM3; 06-11-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
maelfyn156.50