View Single Post
      06-01-2019, 02:28 AM   #73
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Love it. Love the Panda look too. Congrats on beautiful build. Would love it in my garage. Only thing I do not understand is how they can put official M color logo badge on a non M car. That's like putting an RS badge on non RS Audi. Or AMG on non AMG. Or an SS badge on a base Camaro, a Cobra snake on a base Mustang , SRT on a base Challenger.. etc, I could go on and on . Not one of those manufactures does that though. Why does BMW dilute an iconic top tier performance badge?
It isn't the same designation as an m-car. It's an m340i. Notice how the m precedes the full 3 series model number. In other words it's a 340i with some Motorsport "touches", but it wasn't fully developed by the Motorsport division. The m340i also has the same 3 series chassis code as the 330i, which is g20. The full m-cars are the m preceding a single number like m2, m3 etc, and they have their own unique chassis code like f80, g80, f90 etc.

The m340i, m240i, are more like the Audi S* models, not the RS* cars, or the c43 amg, not the c63 amg. The Audi RS cars or Mercedes c63 or e63 amp would be closer to the level of the bmw m* cars. Even then, the cost between those models is somewhat similar, but the brands have differing philosophies in regard to performance in their hard core sports sedan line up.
Appreciate 1
BarryB870.50