Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
So there's an M760i but still no M performance model of the biggest seller and most iconic model the 3 series and its 4 series sibling ... I don't get BMW logic.

Having said that I sat in the new 7 today and am mighty impressed at how comfy it was, not sure it needs an M performance model though... My lady and I were discussing that rather than debating who should drive like usual, we'd be debating who should get the privilege of sitting the back if we owned one of those!
The 3/4 series have so many versions 320, 330, 340 already. Not much room to add an M340 between the 340 and M3, especially considering there isnt that much of a price difference already. The 340 has the performance, just doesnt have the M badge in front of it. The M performance models are great, but they arent true ///M cars.
Exactly, the M135i and M235i have been huge successes. I don't get why the LCI 340i was not released as the M340i and given some M tweaks. Whatever the debates about marketing we've had etc I think the car would have warranted this.

Unless of course BMW thought they could make more money selling all the bits to do this individually.
because you would gift wrap thousands of sales to the MB and Lexus by alienating the thousands that would have bought a "regular" 340. the 2er is different. that being said, I think the 2 loses sales by not having a middle ground. some people just don't want a 4 banger, that doesn't mean they want all the other bits as well. now if BMW wants to do a M340 as a last year run, ala 335is, that might be a good idea.
Appreciate 1