08-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #260
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
This is just purely conjecture, but based mostly from 20+ years of BMW ownership and forum experience/meeting other members, etc.

Base M3/6MT - this is for enthusiasts who want the basic car, possibly who are moving up from other non-premium brands like Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Kia, etc. These are the people who are stretching their budget most likely to get into an M3 for the brand/name recognition and performance. These are the same folks who don't check any options boxes or would have taken the cloth interior with no moonroof back in the day. Nothing wrong with that but think no frills and probably seat time at a HPDE with their car. Entry level buyer and new to the brand type.

Competition Models - this probably for the more affluent buyer who probably doesn't buy the car to track it but just wants a nice sporty car to haul their kids around and go fast. Probably a more mature, middle age buyer, stable job, family, etc. This buyer wants the best of both worlds, all the creature comforts as well as the panache of performance on top and obviously brand name recognition doesn't hurt. Hence M3 Competition to set them apart plus more aggressive looks from wheels, brakes, etc. Most buyers would fit this profile.

CS models - this is for the even more affluent track junkies who want something they can occasionally daily but can really perform at the track. They will have a true daily vehicle or commuter car and take the CS to work on Fridays. There will be compromises but this type of buyer would rather have the performance over creature comforts. Smaller subset of buyers.

GTS models - this is for the collectors and very well to do buyer who has multiple BMWs and other marques and may be acquiring this type of car as a side investment hoping rarity will bring higher values in the future when they sell it on BAT for 25-50% markup with 750 miles on the odo. Very small subset which are most likely the wealthiest of BMW owners or owners from other premium marques.

These are just my thoughts/opinions. Others can add/subtract/edit
Nothing wrong with throwing out some thoughts in a discussion forum...

I think I am generally aligned with your analysis on comp and up

However I dont agree with some of the comments on the 6MT base model. 6MT itself has evolved from being perceived as a 'lower cost option' to being a specialty option for traditionalists who are looking for a very specific driving experience.

BUT (and this was my point in general) I believe there could be a market for the consumer you called out and that I why I personally think they will offer an auto with the base model to attract those consumers who want to step above the M340 but not invest all the way into the comp pack but have never even driven a manual (much less want to)
Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3487.00
duky1313.00