View Single Post
      10-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #49
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
There seems to be a lot of differing opinions based on what people are associating with cheapness.

It seems primarily to be around "cheap" being associated with sometimes build quality or sometimes materials used and or sometimes how dated the interior feels.

My 2 cents...

I think over time, most cars' interiors will feel dated. The F30's interior certainly feels dated today compared to other cars most especially the G20.

I've never owned an E90, but I just recently switched from an F30 340i to a G20 M340i. I would say there are definitely some lower quality (hard plastic) materials on the F30. For example, the center tunnel area below the center console has some really hard plastics - if you run your fingernails over it, it feels cheap and it also has a really hollow sound to it if you tap on it. It was a bit of a shock to me, prior to that I was in a 2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport and that had a really nice interior, almost everything you touched felt really high quality and even some places you wouldn't normally touch felt really nice.

The overall build quality (how well it was put together) was not an issue, the car was put together solidly.

The G20 on the other hand seems like an improvement overall over the F30 for the quality of materials. The build quality is just as good (both were really well built) - but the materials chosen were more well thought out on the G20 imho.

There are still some cheaper materials and some questionable choices - such as the center console buttons that are a single piece (selecting a drive mode like sport or comfort feel like they are all the same overall button with something below the skin figuring out where you are applying pressure) - it is annoying from a usability perspective too since I could change drive modes without looking with the F30's rocker switch but on the G20 I usually have to look down.

Overall though - from a materials perspective, I would take the G20 over the F30. It feels like a step up over the F30.
Appreciate 1