Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
All the C8 thread are not merged into this one, but those combined only add up to <200 anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Here’s some food for thought, though. GM sold 25-35 thousand C7’s a year. I’m too lazy to look up sales figures for each competing model, but i believe Porsches, M cars, Shelbys sold well from 2014-2017. How many C8’s are they gearing up to make? If they produce 50k a year will that finally kill the weaker competitive models?
The plant wasn't operating at/near capacity for the C7, because people knew this was coming. For C8, they're already doubled the number of shifts (so double output) AND presumably they'll be operating closer to/at capacity for a while. I'd assume once they're spun up, output will be 2.5-3x. This thing being profitable is dependent on them selling a ton of them-- the price point is achieved by economies of scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Maybe I'm off base, but i would think the average 911 buyer cares more about it being a 911 rather than where the engine is placed. At the end of the day it's still a Porsche.

To give a personal example I typically buy preowned M cars. I could have bought a brand new 340i instead but I would rather have the used M3 for the same money. I think people who really want a 911 would still rather have one vs a new vette since, all things considered, Porsche > Chevrolet.

Don't take my posts as slighting the new vette. I love it and would absolutely consider buying one. I just don't think some of the premium brands have too much to worry about.
Maybe I give humanity too much credit. Are people really that shallow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I think where we may differ is the strength of the appeal of a mid-engine, n/a V8 sports car. I think this; along with the fact that it's used 911 vs NEW C8; will cause an erosion (or some level) of used 911 and 911S.
... and it a couple of years we'll have a ton of used C8s on the market. If you think a new C8 is a performance bargain, used....

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0