View Single Post
      12-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #1
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Another Outstanding PCD Experience (Picking Up M340i xDrive)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
After what felt like an eternity, last week we picked up my new M340i xDrive at the Performance Center and it was an outstanding experience. This is the second time we did PCD, we did it with my wife's X5 in February and it was so good we wanted to do it again.

The experience begins when you land at Greenville/Spartanbug airport when you're picked up in a new X5 and taken to the Marriott where you're greeted by congratulatory staff (who BMW has put through the experience so their enthusiasm for you is real). After settling in to our room we came downstairs for a complimentary drink and three course dinner. I had a Caesar salad, steak, and carrot cake. After a good night's sleep we were up early for a complimentary breakfast before we boarded a shuttle to the Performance Center with the rest of that day's group. Other than tips, BMW took care of everything.

Once at the Performance Center I noticed my new baby sitting in the lobby before we even walked in. After admiring her for a couple minutes we went to a classroom where we met the driving instructors for the day. Both had previous racing experience and were enthused about the product and to have us there. We sent through a presentation about the features of BMW bakes, stability control, and general driving tips. From there you walk out under an awning adorned with creative graphics where the cars you'll be using are lined up. They give you a car exactly like yours to drive. First we did ABS braking drills where we increased our speed and eventually navigated a curve while panic braking. After that we went to the skidpad which they wet down with sprinklers and did some drills with stability control on and off. From there we did a small road course with a slalom, maybe half a mile long (more of an autocross). When that was done the instructors took us for hot laps in a new M5, that was an absolute riot.

It was then time to take delivery of the new baby! My particular car was in the lobby but they have other delivery rooms with a glass garage door leading off onto a long driveway like you're driving off into the future. A genius came and went over all features in more detail than a dealer ever would and made sure things were set up the way I wanted them. That process took about an hour and a half.

BMW provided a very nice lunch in their cafeteria at the Performance Center which was surprisingly good (lucky people who work there). I had a grilled chicken breast, veggies, and mashed potatoes (not to mention a brownie after). During lunch we sat with our morning driving instructor and the genius who showed us the car.

After lunch we went back out under the awning and grabbed an X5 to do the off-road course. Here you'll put the car on the 'frame bender' where the goal is to balance it on two opposite wheels. You'll also navigate a couple steep hills and descents where you'll get wheels off the ground and use hill descent control. Our particular X5 blew a tire on a rock toward the end of the course so we rode back in the instructor's X5.

After that everyone got in their new babies and drove across the street to the manufacturing hall where they make the X3 and X4 for a factory tour. The process is really cool. And for someone who works in a manufacturing environment the fact that they do just-in-time AND just-in-sequence from their suppliers was really cool thought to geek out on.

When the factory tour concluded we went to the Zentrum, the on-site BMW museum where we got to see some significant cars in BMW's history both from a performance and manufacturing perspective.

We had one last stop and that was at the BMW CCA which is located adjacent to the Performance Center. They had a really cool exhibit going on made up of members' cars on loan to the CCA. A tremendous amount of work went into this exhibit, a testament to the dedication of the CCA. This was every bit as cool as the Zentrum but for different reasons, I suggest you stop here, too.

And that was our day. We left for Asheville NC at about 4PM to continue our trip and slow journey home. Asheville was a cool town and the Biltmore estate was both grand and fascinating; highly recommended as an added stop.

In closing, BMW does an exemplary job with this unique experience. To anyone considering a new BMW, even if the dealer has a car you want on the lot, order a new one and take delivery at the Performance Center. It will be one of the best experiences of your automotive life.

M340i Performance Center Delivery by jeich182, on Flickr

This is me on the skidpad in a RWD M340i. The goal was to see the difference BMW's vehicle stability control makes. The objective was to do two 360 degree spins (most people don't get them quite right) with the system off. The third time was with stability assist in a dynamic mode, I was able to hold an angle for part of the lap before the car corrected. In fully-on mode it's unflappable.

Last edited by gofast182; 12-19-2019 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 33
A6bullet337.00
wtwo317945.00
VipinLJ1941.50
G8rGrl568.50
BMW11278.00
zamboni1127.50
ccondo159.50
stein_325i25076.00
JoeKixxon715.00
dmboone254972.00
Sedan_Clan24980.50