View Single Post
      05-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Suspension debate - adaptive or not?

BMW’s new “lift-related” dampers. This new suspension setup isn’t adaptive and it has no alternative modes. It’s just a passive suspension setup that’s be set up properly. And you know what? It works brilliantly. During my time with it, I was so extremely pleased with how it rode, handled bumps and handled corners. In every situation, it felt perfect. Sure, it was a little on the firm side but never so much so that it was uncomfortable. Instead, it was supple enough, planted and confidence inspiring.

Of course, to do so, you have to make a bit of a sacrifice in one area. In the case of the 3 Series, its new suspension trades a bit of comfort for better handling and dynamics. And it’s well worth it because it’s still comfortable enough for everyday driving and actually has a suppleness that allows you to feel bumps but rounds them out. And because it’s consistent, with no changing modes, you can better learn how it responds and drive accordingly.
I wish BMW would do this for more of its cars; just offer a single, non-adaptive suspension setup that works the right way right out of the box. Just like M2
Appreciate 4