Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Hi.

Yes, such big changes, I don't really recognise my BMW of old. So much focus on tech, less so on driving...

About chasing clients, they got more, but are they the right clients for the brand, the ones that will be faithful to it? This is something debatable...

Don't get me wrong, I will test drive the new 3er, but If I were to purchase a new BMW, I would be a 2 series, the M2 CS is probably the last exciting compact size BMW.

I've driven a rental 2-litre turbodiesel E90 and I was impressed on how good and "tight" it felt, I've driven a F30 rental too and it felt like a Japanese appliance...

My next car will probably be a vintage BMW or else, more analogue feel is what I love about driving...

Cheers!
You make a good point about the faithful.

My guess would be both yes and no, to that answer.
Yes, because a newer type of buyer/driver would be attracted to the current BMW, for whatever reasons they may be (i.e., AWD+Inline-6, BMW Personal Assistant/tech, good infotainment/iDrive, etc.) and a new generation will grow up to know these attributes as BMW characteristics, as strange as that may sound to you and I.

And no, because chasing tech and numbers is a very "disconnected" way of building loyalty, simply because tech and numbers can always be reproduced/emulated/improved-on by competitors, or by time itself.
Look at something like an Apple Watch Hermes from several years ago. They sold for something like $10,000 USD, and now they are worth close to nothing.
Point is, tech and the latest, greatest numbers are dispensable things that do not stand the test of time. Not only that, but people who chase numbers are more inclined to go for competitors whenever something newer or "greater" is offered.

So really, it's kind of two-pronged, it's yes, and no. I can see arguments for both, and real world buyers are probably a mix of the two, though the ratios of which are certainly debatable.

Agreed on your assessment of the E90 vs. F30 driving feel.
Everyone has their own opinion of the "last" BMW they feel like was a good blend of tradition and modernity. I'm in no hurry to get rid of my E90 M because for my own use, it strikes that balance.
Still, I can appreciate new BMWs as new cars, and there's still very few sub-exotic cars I'd rather have over an equivalent BMW, but if I were buying something to keep around for the long-haul, it would most certainly be from something in the past.

Anyways, good discussion, and hope to see you around the boards more often.

Cheers.

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |