Global Moderator
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Oh come on, when the E46 came out there were two models. 318i and 328i, i.e. a shit range. A wheezy four-pot or a monster six-cylinder. When I bought mine mid-season, I had a choice of TEN engines and if I lived in Yurrup, I could have had RWD or AWD . When then E90 came out you could have a 320i, 320d and 330i, nothing AWD. That was it, i.e., shit. If you compared the E90 at launch to the E46 at peak, you'd say the same thing - "it's shit" - but it would be a pointless comparison.

Hmm. I recall huge disappointment at the choice of run-flat tyres, the increase in size, the bizarre styling, the lack of door strips that made parking lot damage a guarantee, the narrow rear track and inboard rear wheels that made the rear end look like a full baby's diaper, the oversized rear lamps off a Daewoo, the awful camel-hump dashboard if you specified iDrive and the featureless expanse if you did not, the less driver-focused interior whose console no longer pointed at the driver... all forgotten now by this forum, which now lauds it as one of the "troo grates".
I'm not sure where I mentioned anything was "shit".
And nowhere did I even throw in the E46 as a comparison.

I was simply speaking about the E90 to F30 to G20.
Things have changed. We've gained some and lost some through the journey.

Am I still keeping an open mind? Absolutely.

So please relax, because you're implying that it's delusional to compare the many changes that have occurred in the last 10 years.

Why don't we talk about the topic at hand (G20 vs. predecessors/driving character) instead of going off-tangent (i.e., E46 vs. E90/design)?

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
Jason25093.50