Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaywhateveryo View Post
We were not allowed to use launch control, so this was just flooring it. I did put the throttle setting in Sport+ or whatever the max was on the model (I think it was Sport+ like it is in my M4). And I'm probably exaggerating about the 5 seconds, but it was a long enough lag for everyone that I talked to take notice. Maybe more like 3? It just felt like eternity.

But as I noted, the guy in charge told me that the M3/M4 would be much different. Maybe the poster above is right — these are geared to make sure that the trip to Home Depot isn't violent (given that they are SUVs after all).
I think it has more to do with the turbos spooling and the transmission making sure it's in the right gear. NA cars have instant response when punching it, turbo cars don't. I remember one of the motor trend guys talking about how a Prius could beat a Nissan GTR off the line if launch control wasn't being used because you wait, wait, wait, and then light speed.... same thing here. Same thing in my M6, M3s, X1, S3, Jeep Wrangler (new turbo), and the list goes on... a more modest press on the pedal gets it rolling sooner but if you just jam it down, usually a weird delay.
The majority of the x3m reviews at the launch event commented that there was minimal to no true turbo lag from this motor which leads me to lean towards what OP was told, the software programming around throttle tip in being "softer" for the suv than they would setup for an M3.

the previous gen S55 displayed very little if any lag and it's unlikely bmw would go backwards in this respect. The B58 was an improvement over the N55 so my expectation is all things being equal the S58 will be an improvement over the S55.
Not sure if you're implying using launch control, but there is hesitation/lag with every one of my S55 equipped cars. 16 F82, 19 F87, 2 18 F80's and 18 F80CS. Also in my F85 and F30.