View Single Post
      01-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #69
Razor2010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M-Sport - M-LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
All manufacturers (at least in theory) should tune their engines conservatively so that there is ample margin for extra power left untapped. My assumption is that to have that margin of safety for the B48 they had to upgrade internals as a stage 1 tune on the B48 would bring 360 hp, close to or just over 400 tq. I can't imagine a stage 1 tune would impact this engine negatively if cared for properly. I'm personally waiting until the warranty has expired so i guess i'll have some time to let you guys be the guinea pigs.
I agree, they tune them with a margin of error, no doubt.

I guess the reality is until we have a few years, and a significantly large enough sample size of B4 330i’s running 300+ HP and TQ with only a small percentage failing, it’s simply a guessing game. Not an expert on exactly how internals fail, but I assume a crank, piston and bearing(s) could look in great condition (if the engine was opened up and disassembled) after 5,000 miles but on mile 5,001 it fails because it was never intended to run at 300+ HP and TQ?

I would imagine BMW has performed actual tests on internal components and knows details on what HP and TQ figures would lead to short term (5 years or less) engine failure, but unless someone has an inside connection only time will tell. Not sure I am prepared to be a test subject when it could be a $15k bill if the test fails.
Appreciate 0