View Single Post
      02-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #15
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

I bought HP Reverb a few days ago and still testing it (I have 30 days to decide if I should keep it, thanks to their no-hassle return policy, and I think it is worth a try for any sim pilot). Before that I was looking at large V-Sync gaming monitors to increase immersion and improve graphics smoothness, but those monitors cost upwards of 2000 dollars and the reverb was only 800 (in Canada), so it seemed like a no-brainer to me.

I only fly IL2-Sturmovik which is well suited to VR because there are only two dozen or so switches and buttons to blindly poke at while wearing VR helmet (I envy chimp-like dexterity of DCS pilots managing to blindly control hundreds of inputs, even with clickable cockpit partially alleviating some of the pain).

So when I finally fired-up the simulation: the biggest shock was the mind-blowing and awe-inspiring cockpit realism in VR, by which I mean that every switch, every panel, lever, etc: just sprang to life in vivid 3d detail.

It felt like a completely different game because I started noticing and appreciating details I never gave a second thought on a flat monitor. Also the incredible snugness of the cockpit literally wrapping around me made me feel literally like part of the machine I was flying.

On the other hand the biggest VR downside was how the outside graphics' crappiness became painfully obvious and magnified, because the way VR works is by enlarging view-scale to 1-to-1 in an attempt to make everything look as real as possible. The second problem was and continues to be motion sickness when flying, which is getting more manageable every day, yet I am still not entirely comfortable for longer periods (more than 20 minutes). I hope I can overcome this before my 30 days is up, if so then HP Reverb is probably the keeper.
Appreciate 0