View Single Post
      03-22-2024, 03:52 PM   #1
LopsidedLand
Rep
Drives: No BMWs yet

Buy M340i/M440i now or buy M3 in a few years?

I hope this the correct place to post this as I've been trying to learn how to navigate these forums.

I have been driving beaters since high school and am ready to buy a nicer vehicle. My current car technically runs and drives but it has a leaking radiator, brake issues, welded-together alignment rod, everything rattles, etc. I want something modern that is both luxurious and comfortable on long distance drives but also is powerful and fun to drive. I live in Minnesota so also would prefer AWD for the winter.

Most of my research has pointed to some sort of smaller midsize sedan with a turbocharged 6 cylinder. I'd like to get a CPO. My "dream" car was an Audi RS5 but after doing some reading I think the M3 comes in at the top of this segment - having 4 doors and daily driving capability with the ability to become a truly high performance sedan by pressing a few buttons.

The thing is, I make only around $90k a year. I am expecting a promotion soon that will push it up toward $100k but that's not enough for a used G80 M3 Xdrive, which start at $80k+ (even the RWD versions drive are $70k+ used). I currently have $15k set aside for a down payment.

So I feel like I have two options right now:
A) Buy a used M340i or M440i Gran Coupe for $40k-$50k, I'd just to have to look for a while to find one with the exact colors and features I'd want

B) Buy another beater to drive for a few years, save up more money, and buy the M3 Xdrive, which will have depreciated even more in a few years so it will be more car for less

Frankly, I'm sick of driving crappy cars right now but I do wonder if I'll be sitting in my M340i and be thinking to myself, "I wish I had just waited longer and bought a real M car".

Last edited by LopsidedLand; 03-22-2024 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0