View Single Post
      02-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #65
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
I'm sorry. I don't mean to be an asshole and I know some people are buying new cars this year and are excited for both of these. That said, they both look like shit.

The grills are massive and ugly on both. The tails on both are indistinguishable from a Lexus.

The headlights no longer are distinctively BMW.

And that's setting aside all the drivetrain issues of the 3er (no more DCT, AWD M, etc.)

An era has ended.
What do you consider distinctively BMW?

Are the BMW 2002's headlights distinctively BMW? Because then we've been a long way from that for quite some time.

Are the pre-facelift F30 headlights distinctively BMW? Because going from those to LCI headlights, and going from LCI headlights to G20 lasers is not that much larger size of a change in design imo.

Everybody has their tastes, but what's distinctively BMW is defined by BMW in their latest product line-up like it always has been. Change can be hard to warm up to and some maybe won't ever take to liking it, but you have to accept time moves on and products have to keep up or they won't remain competitive. If BMW still sold the same car it did 20 years ago, it probably wouldn't exist. If they somehow magically created a car suited to everyone's tastes, which is impossible, then we'd all be driving the same car. Exiting times that would be...

If you don't like a certain era of design, you're free not to choose a car from that line-up, and stay with older models within the brand, or look around if you can find something elsewhere until the new redesign inevitably comes around down the line.

Also the new M3 will be available as a RWD model, as well as having M xDrive switchable to full RWD mode.
Appreciate 0