02-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #127
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest 535i View Post
I remember when the Bangle E60 came out...Oh the howls of sacrilege and turning their back on classic BMW lines.

Now people pine for E60 lol

Never will please everybody. Final verdict will be the upcoming sales figures.
E60 has many elements of the 5 series even if it's hidden behind bangle-isms. As a result the car has aged extremely well imo. Looks like it could be in the line up today (and be best looking!).

In fact most of those bangle era cars aged pretty well IMO. Granted they sort of created the design trends that most copied going forward so that helps.

Right now it's like Audi is the class leader for design and everyone is trying to do cool day time running lights and angles to make it look mean and angry. All stems from the R8 as far as I can tell.

Another example, the bangle Z4s and the Z8. They have 507 lines as the foundation and then added the new design elements over them similair to the 911 approach.

The new Z4 is Adrian Van Hooeydonk attempting to make BMW design HIS design without respect towards BMW design. It has no foundation in BMW history, more like KIA history.

Basically what I'm saying is designs like e60 and e42 have their foundations solid and are solid many years later as a result.

The new designs are very trendy and have a very agressive look very novel but it will âge worse than a Nissan Cube. They even killed angel eyes for the new Van Hooeydonk 'L' things. I suspect this is supposed to look like an 'angry' angel eye where the top of the circle is cut off by the angry narrowed eyelid.

AGGRESSIVE SUPER FAST F'ING 320i RACE MACHINE. It look good to Leasers, but these will be remembered as 996 fried egg Porsches in 10 years. It's ugly and flies in the face of classic design.
Appreciate 0