SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Ok. Back home after 25 days. Car started first press of the button. Just for info thou (I had thought this but wanted to confirm) the Drive Recorder is not available when the car is not running. With engine off it says “drive recorder not available”
That’s interesting that you received the message “drive recorder not available“.
My dealer told me that the Drive Recorder works while parked, but doesn’t put a significant drain on the battery.
I was also told that you can shut down the Drive Recorder manually if you know you are going to be parked in your garage for a long period of time.
It took a long time to get feedback from my dealer, so it appears that there is limited info from BMW on the actual operation of DR.
The bottom line is that I shall go ahead and get the DR for my build in Jan, to record any potential side impacts, but I will also install front and rear BlackVue cameras with a Cellink battery for those “near misses” we see on the road that the DR will not record.
This is probably overkill on my part, but what the hell!