View Single Post
      11-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #106
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I had a 2016 330e and had battery problems. By the time they replaced the entire battery system, I had had it with BMW's attitude and forced it to buy the car back. Funny thing is that the company was awful at resolving my problems but wonderful once it agreed to a buyback. If it had been as good during the problems, I never would have forced it to buy the car back.

I replaced it with my current 530e (factory order--loaded to the gills). I have now had it for 22 months and the only problem was a bad latch on the storage compartment under the light switch (a minor annoyance that I waited until the car was in for maintenance and had them replace the unit then). So the electric system has been rock solid.

But in a loaded BMW there are plenty of components to go bad and they are all expensive to repair. The battery system does come with a warranty -- 8 years in my case, longer in certain states in the US. But I don't know what the warranty period is in Portugal.

I think I would worry more about all the components, including but not limited to the electrical system, when worrying about reliability.

My partial solution is that my auto insurance policy has a feature called "mechanical breakdown insurance". It basically picks up everything that BMW includes in its OEM warranty but runs it for the shorter of seven years or 100,000 miles with a $250/incident copay. So my current plan is to keep my 530e for seven years.
Appreciate 0