United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosz View Post
Scott

You can adapt and survive while sticking to the roots that have kept
You alive for the past 100 years.

I don't mind BMW making a sedan, coupe, convertible, wagon, GT and GC of the same series since you need to expand your market share and compete. My problem comes when you take the M brand and you dilute it as part of your strategy. At this pace the ///M brand will not be the same it was 10 years ago. When I picked up my M3 at the Welt and visited the M Studio, talking about the M3 was like talking about Jordan at its prime. The respect for the car was astonishing. I fear in a few years it'll just be another car BMW makes. The gap between the M and the base models shrinks every year. I do not mind a 335 MSport like the E90 series had. My problem comes when you create an M3 using a standard 3-series N54/N55 engine with some upgrades and call it an M engine and then on top of that create vehicles like a M135, M235, etc and slap the M badge to its name. A naming like the 135is and 335is would have been more suitable. Perhaps BMW itself has lost respect for the most important letter in the world and now we see the results of that. Listen to your fan base before it's too late. If we express our opinion with so much emphasis is because we care.

You can expand and make as many BMW models are you think you might need, but when it comes to the M Brand please keep in mind a few of us still hold it as the holy grail and we would like it to stay that way.
Sigh, heard that same junk about the E36 not being a real M car because it's not a real M engine. Yet here I am, loving the E36 for it's low maintenance cost and reliability and the S52 being one of the more loved engines from the past 20 years. 1M was another one, some whiners complain about the engine, but there it goes being one of the best M Products.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0