View Single Post
      07-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #52
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

I could understand the performance argument if we were talking about race cars or supercars who are driven a lot on track, but even Ferrari has the option of magnetic suspension, which is said to improve performance.

We use our cars on the road, where the pavement is far from perfect and surfaces are constantly changing, so these adaptive setups are by far the best option.

Try a Porsche with and without PASM (Porsche adaptive suspension), the ride is night and day difference, on the road the PASM is a must have option from my experience of driving 300 000 klms in recent 911s.

I ordered my Audi RS3 without magnetc ride because I thought I was a "performance oriented guy", because it would "handle better", and that I was too much of a Petrolhead for the adaptive suspensions. The truth is that I drove another RS3 with magnetic ride and it is miles better than mine in everything, makes it so much more usable, on the road it is also faster since it adapts to the bad surfaces and finds more grip than mine that is so stiff that cannot absorb bumps so it just jumps from side to side, also on motorway fast driving it is safer when the surface is not perfect, and gives more confidence. My opinion is that I ruined my car by not choosing it.

If you can afford the adaptive setup (here it costs only 600 euros, and the 3 series cost around 60.000 euros) in my opinion there is no reason not to choose it, it's one of the few "recent" car features that is actually very useful.
Appreciate 0