View Single Post
      04-28-2020, 12:18 AM   #35
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Wheels and tyres are one of the most important vehicle items, transferring directly into handling and braking. The problem with BMW OEMs is that they are overpriced, generally Made in Taiwan heavy items.

Contrast, my ray's setup, if you check my album, front is 42lbs per wheel. An easy shave of 15-20 lbs vs OEM wheels at 60+ lbs. Ray's are stronger (strongest in the world), lighter and CHEAPER than BMW OEM! sure, they also make HRE BBS wheels above 18", repackaged as 300-400% price increase for Porsche etc, but, from the factory, through suppliers, at 3500$ USD for 9.5 and 10" wheels, it is insane.

Once I added 3D CCBs, shaving off 30 lbs front axle alone, plus Rays, so another 30, that was 60 lbs shaved off front axle alone, unsprung weight. From DD to track, the difference was mind blowing (in the 0.3 second range) without touching the engine.

Reason why Ray's does it for everyone above 18" is their owning the world only 10,000 ton monoblock forging press. Major sports brands, e.g. Porsche, AM, anyone making custom 19 20 +" ultralight strong wheels, go to Rays.
Trivia info but yes, Ray's also supplied F1 teams.

Another benefit is that, 4th summer on Ray's the last trueness check, laser, revealed zero bend, but some damage to the Michelins PS4S after a highway sectional cut. The first 3 summers on my F30, I took in some 5 times my BMW M perf wheels, two separate sets, for straightening...
I want the last 60 seconds of my life back
Appreciate 0