United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush View Post
Found this old thread about M4 GC. They have a M440i GC now but I still wish there was an full fledge M4 Gran Coupe version. I love my M550i and my M3 comp xdrive is on the way, but I would jump on the first opportunity to get a M4 GC comp xdrive. I hope its a reality in the future!
I think it would look nice, the test mule for the electrified M4 seems to have used a GC platform (you can see the C-pillar is not as far back).
I'd say they used GC as the platform because the production car closest to what could serve as a prototype for testing various newer electric drivetrain components is the i4, which is 4 door.

While I would love to see a proper M in a 4 GC format, having owned one, I can see why they would likely never be able to achieve the chassis rigidity M cars promise in one of these. They'd need to add a lot of bracing at the rear which wouldn't really be "compatible" with the hatch format.

I don't know how they've handled it (and to what extent) in the M3 touring. There is only so much you can engineer before physics and practicality comes in the way of things - see X3M, X5M and the lack of an X7M altogether.