View Single Post
      08-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #37
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I've done a fairly similar dance in the past. I owned a 2012 Mustang GT---it had the coyote V8, 6-spd manual, brembo brake package, and I added koni dampers/steeda springs (along with the adjustable steeda strut mount). After owning the car for 3 yrs, my heart started to wander, hardcore. I drove a 997 carrera, 997 carrera S, and my current M3. Now personally, I didn't care much for the 997. On the street it felt pretty similar to the M3. I want my first Porsche to be an engaging experience, so I passed and bought the M3. Said M3 only has about $3k in options, with the most expensive option being the ZCP. I would say that the M3 and Mustang were very similarly equipped (both had cloth seats, manual, the optional performance package at the time, and neither had/have nav).

I'll tell you this. There's a reason why the Mustang is cheaper. It's a rickety car. The engine in the Mustang is legitimately superb. I am about one of 4 people who like the shifter feel of the MT-82. Everything else? Junk. There's no attention to detail and it's clear they took the cheapest way out possible. After a year, the underside of the mustang had a lot of surface rust. Under the dash, you can basically see right into all of the workings of the vehicle---there was no carpeting!

Now, I'm sure the current car is nicer than mine, but I wouldn't say it's worlds nicer. The IRS hasn't transformed the car as much as you would think. All mustangs drive like they're 5k lbs. Small cabin with lots of metal around you---the BMW and Porsche drove very differently.

If a GTS is a legit option for you and you like how it drives, I wouldn't give a mustang a second thought. If you're stretching to get into the GTS, the mustang might be a better option from a financial perspective. They're not terrible cars, but there are tangible differences in quality between the cars.
Appreciate 0