View Single Post
      02-10-2020, 06:02 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisberob View Post
3. Car came with the steering wheel slightly rightward, 1-2 degrees, when going straight. This is less obvious at lower speeds but more obvious at highway speeds. Car tracks straight when the wheel is let go so I just let it be. (Maybe this is just due to the car following the crown of the road??)

4. Can anyone clarify VSS? I thought I would get used to it by now but I can definitely do without it.
When the steering wheel is not on-center, when driving straight, the steering precision is compromised. Steering and DSC requires a zero, neutral position, as a straight ahead reference, for proper function.

Say the EPS motor position sensor is running the correct calibration, (similar to a steering angle sensor), and your steering wheel is offset a degree or so, there is potential for oddities in left/right steering behaviour. Feedback signals will indicate you are not driving straight, (as you are not at zero position).

Assuming the steering wheel is definitely offset, when running 'straight', on the crown of the road, I'd have that issue sorted first.

What's the issue with the VSS function?
Appreciate 0