View Single Post
      02-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
thisberob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: EFTHIRTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Maybe your alignment is off? My alignment was off at delivery and they had to adjust it. My car tracked right when the wheel was on center. It was okay after that but i have noticed that it is starting to track right again.

Yes, the car can be darty and twitchy at high speeds. I have observed this as well. It's hard to describe and you can only tell if you're the one holding the wheel> it's almost like the front tires are wobbly. I don't know if this is what people call feedback?(i don;t remember feedback like this in my e90)

What is really strange is this behavior comes and goes. The steering feels inconsistent, Sometimes it will track smooth and other times it will be twitchy and darty. Maybe depends on the road type. Putting the steering into sport helps a little bit with this. I will say it has gotten better. It's better now at 8,000 miles than it was new.

I too came from the F30 and it feels different. With the F30, i could let it coast at high speed without worrying too much. In the G20, i feel like i have to make a few more adjustments and be a bit more alert.

My steering always returns to center though after a turn or lane change though so don't know about that.

Btw, I don't have VSS. I'm always curious about how the vss feels ? Even the base steering has a variable ratio and i don't love it. And yes, i love the suspension/chassis on this car. 10x better than F30. But don't love the steering...compromises
I'm at 1600 miles now, the chances of getting the alignment comped by the dealer is pretty much zero now. I mentioned it to my CA when I got the car but decided against bringing it in because it's only off by 1-2 degrees, the car tracks straight, and when I brought in my X4 to fix a really bad alignment at delivery, they curbed ~10 inches of my rim and only made the alignment better (not completely straight) after 6 or 7 visits. I would rather just leave it vs wasting time going back and forth and reliving that nightmare.

What your describing vs the f30 is what I'm feeling as well. There is still an f30 330 xdrive in the family and I definitely don't have to make as many adjustments in the f30. The faster I go in the g20, the more adjustments I need to make, though the car itself is VERY planted.

Going locally, the steering always comes to center, e.g. making a left or right turn down the street. It's just with the sweeping left turns and sometimes sweeping right. Weird thing is that it doesn't happen every time either. It's most obvious when there is a bank in the turn, meaning during a sweeping left turn, the left side of the road is noticeably lower than the right side of the road. Very odd behavior.

Maybe I just need to get used to the g20.