View Single Post
      12-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #128
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I had an 18 Giulia Quadrifoglio for 1 year. First 11 months it only died 1 time - came out in the morning and car was dead - put battery on trickle then no issues.

Then at 11.5 months, the car would just "stall out" with no warning. First time I was in a parking garage blocking the entrance!! On a Sunday night. And you cannot put the car into neutral without a specialized tool. Oh, and good luck getting any customer service from Alfa or a towtruck, none of them would touch an Italian sports car with a 10 foot pole. Luckily, the car would restart after sitting for 2 hours. LOL. Dealer reset codes and wrote it off as a "fluke".
Then a week later, in a left hand turn lane of a busy intersection, car just DIES. Dead. My kids are in the car. On a Sunday evening 95 and hot out. Alfa customer service useless, cannot get a towtruck out, which is useless anyways since they will not touch this car. Of course after sitting for 2 hours, the car will finally turn over. Dealer has not clue and will not replace parts. Tells me they think it was the gas? I only use Shell Premium in my cars. Dealer and Alfa customer service totally useless, and don't give a crap TBH. Their idea of going "above and beyond" was they gave me a Dodge Charger rental car with 35k miles on it.

I traded my Alfa in for an M2. I was nervous as hell that the car would die on the way to the dealer. Or it would stall out while they were on their test drive. LOL. Took a little bit of a hit but I was desperate to dump it as fast as possible. It was my only car at the time, and I was in another state for 3 weeks due to relocation. So I'm in another state, with 1 car, and its an Alfa that will die at any time, with no notice.

I knew Alfa reliability could be an issue, but it has a warranty. However in my 25 years of car ownership I've never had to deal with a car that just dies with no notice. What if you're on the highway in the left lane? These cars can be dangerous. No way in heck I'm coming close to another Alfa nor would I recommend one to anybody I know.

Its too bad because the QV driving experience is amazing. It crushes the M3 and makes my M2 feel like driving a Jetta. The suspension and steering working together are magical, you feel the car moving with you on winding roads with elevation changes. Go into a turn fast, you feel the suspension movement, changing, then planting itself to gain traction on the way out. Of course is fast as hell in a straight line, but driving the QF in the twisties is magical. And the car is always moving with you, even driving slow, so much feel its amazing. You feel like you are driving "in the road" not "on the road". The M3 and M2 feel like 1 solid piece of solid granite, lacking feel... cannot compare if you care about driving feel kinda stuff not 0-60 times.

Alfa interior was a step above F30 other than the infotainment. I thought the F30 was a terrible generation of 3. QV brakes were horrible at low speeds. No idea how they released the car with those brakes on it lol.

I'm back with a G20 330i as a daily and 18 R8 for sports car. I feel like BMW realized they went soft on the F30 and stepped up their game on the G20. R8 does not have the QV driving feel but exotic with V10 provides a different type of experience. I never once doubt my German cars will start or stall out in a busy intersection, kids school line, or when I need to get to an important work meeting. My heart loves Italian cars like the Maserati GTS, F430 but my brain always has me back to German since I have zero tolerance for cars dying out or spending stupid $$$$ on repairs. This Alfa was my trial into the Italian car ownership, and its just not for me. No time for the fluky character.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 12-20-2020 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 5
VipinLJ1943.00
G20NZ34.50
M40i4me1037.00
EXE462100.00