View Single Post
      04-30-2019, 11:22 PM   #104
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Test drove it 2x but both times with 225 RFT all seasons. Apparently getting a summer tire 340 will be difficult in the NE.

First impression of the exterior -I have grown to really like the rear or the car. I like the front less so. A bit too rounded. Wheel size - 792M wheels are the only ones to get in my opinion. Changes the look of the car to something sportier compared to the other wheels.

Interior is fresh and new but top dash feels too hard. Also the inside door handle has an odd kink in it that comes across as sharp when pulling on it to close the door. Console aluminum doesn't look upscale. Enough that I'd push myself to getting the open pore oak which looks good but not sporty. Technology seems robust. I didn't get a chance to play with everything but it's much more modern than my F80. I'd say still a step down overall in quality but the tech makes up for some of that and it's a nice place to be.

Had the salesperson start the car while I was outside. Cold start actually makes noise which is nice. Settles down after a bit to be muted. Revving the engine produces sound again at a good level for a non-M car.

Car feels bigger than the F80 but not in a good way. Can't tell if it's the dash or the hood but you notice you are in a bigger car. A negative in my book.

Put the car in D and start driving and notice the steering in sport has weight to it unlike the Audi I drove. Under acceleration the exhaust is present with the windows down and in sport and sport plus you get burbles when letting off (more so in S+). In Sport and Sport+, transmission downshift from say 4 to 3 to 2, etc as you slow down to a light or stop sign. I found it too aggressive in doing that in S+. Sport was a good level of downshifting when slowing down. Driven passively it is an easy car to drive comfortably. No drama. From a standstill and getting on the go pedal, the car has serious acceleration. The combo of instant torque, AWD, and the quick ZF 8 makes this car very quick when called upon. I doubt a manual M3 could win a race from a standstill due to lack of traction, clutch pickup, longer gearing, and of courses the shifting. I have one and I doubt I could keep up.

Handling seemed just ok to me. I was on the street so didn't get a chance to really dive into any turns but in a few quick maneuvers that I made, it can handle daily driving duties just fine. But didn't feel very sporty. Once again car felt bigger than my F80. That kept being my takeaway. Note the car was on 225 width RFT all seasons. The car I drove did not have adaptive suspension and it rides very nice. Run flats are still trash apparently. I hit a pothole and got one of those pothole explosions that I remember from my Sport Package E90 335. Also notices the tires were 225 all around. Way too skinny for such a powerful car. Combined as a RFT and all season - no good.

Overall my takeaway is - the M340 is a great daily driver. Fast and comfortable but feels larger than the F80 and also the S4 I drove. It also didn't get my blood flowing like my F80 does as I walk up to it or shift through the gears. If I hadn't come from an M3, I could see myself jumping in one but my gut tells me I would miss the aggressiveness of the M3 down the line. For those looking for a fast, comfortable, sedan with lots of tech, you won't be disappointed in the M340.
Very fair assessment!! I agree, the F8x definitely got my adrenaline flowing every time I was behind the wheel... which being a naturally high strung person could be overwhelming. .

I see the M340 as a good DD that's not "in your face"... Whereas the ///M is the exact opposite, which it should be!

You have to find the right fit... each car has an intended purpose. I may jump back into an M down the road, but I know I will need a separate DD to complement it.
Appreciate 2
trey1001125.00
berkel25.50