10-02-2019, 12:39 AM   #2
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The F30 LSD was only available as a dealer-installed part. (i.e. you had to buy it and get it installed after purchase of your car). It was only available for RWD cars but was available for both automatic and manual cars. So very few F30 cars have LSDs as it was very expensive to purchase and install.

I haven't driven the G20 specifically without it, but I will say that an LSD will always improve handling and control. An added benefit of it is that it will improve grip in inclement conditions such as snow or rain.

The G20 diff is also mechanical but the lockup clutch is electronically actuated. This is not to be confused with the ADB (automatic differential brake) or stability control which actuates the brakes on slipping wheels to send torque to the wheels with traction. This system simply sucks if you're used to driving a car with a mechanical LSD, but it is better than nothing. I would highly recommend outfitting your car with an LSD if you like to go on spirited drives. I used to have a RWD car with an LSD, and with winter tires that thing was very sure-footed in snow. I never got stuck in any parking spots or driving through deep snow drifts.
Appreciate 1
A6bullet337.00